On June 25, 1955, the ferry Kalakala starts service between Victoria, B.C. and Port Angeles, Washington. As she enters Victoria Harbor, a fireboat accompanies her, shooting water from the nozzles. Thousands of people attend the event, and passengers are piped ashore by a Scottish kiltie band. Victoria Mayor Claude Harrison presents a bronze plaque to Captain A. F. "Spike" Eikum.
The streamlined silver ferry had been assigned to the new run on June 14. The previous ferry, the Chinook, was transferred to the Nanaimo-Vancouver run.
The Washington State Ferry system had been requested to put the Kalakala on this route by both the Washington and British Columbia governments. Both governments thought it would boost tourism.
The Kalakala remained on this run for five years, after which she was returned to the Seattle-Bremerton run.
M.S. Kline and G.A. Bayless, Ferryboats: A Legend on Puget Sound (Seattle: Bayless Books, 1983), 229-247.
Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that
encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both
HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any
reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this
Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For
more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact
the source noted in the image credit.
Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided
The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins
| Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry
| 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle
| City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach
Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private
Sponsors and Visitors Like You