On October 24, 1870, T. G. Murphy moves his newspaper from Alaska and begins publishing The Alaska Times in Seattle. It joins The Weekly Intelligencer as one of two newspapers being published in Seattle.
Shortly after the United States gained possession of Alaska in 1867, T. G. Murphy established The Alaska Times in Sitka, Alaska. Apparently the enterprise was not profitable. Murphy moved the paper to Seattle and started publishing on October 24, 1870. A few issues later, Murphy renamed the paper Territorial Dispatch and Alaska Times. Later still, he changed the name again to Puget Sound Dispatch. Murphy sold the paper to Charles H. Larrabee and Beriah Brown (1815-1900) on September 19, 1871.
In 1878, the Intelligencer bought it out.
Thomas Prosch, "A Chronological History of Seattle from 1850 to 1897" (Typescript, dated 1900-1901, Northwest Collection, University of Washington Library, Seattle), 205-206, 222.
Note: This essay was corrected on March 5, 2009.
Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that
encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both
HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any
reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this
Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For
more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact
the source noted in the image credit.
Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided
The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins
| Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry
| 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle
| City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach
Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private
Sponsors and Visitors Like You