Financed by Green Lake resident George K. Coryell and the Green Lake Improvement Club, the library began circulating books in October 1905.
Readers Overcome Mud
The library was built on pilings adjacent to Ravenna Creek at the Lake's outlet. A boardwalk led from the street and streetcar tracks to the library porch to protect readers from high water and the library from muddy boots in rainy weather. For the next five years this fledgling library, with its shelving for 5,000 books, served the entire community and its children attending three schools: the Green Lake School, the Daniel Bagley School, and the John B. Allen School. At its peak, an average of 125 books a day were circulated to 1,473 registered borrowers.