The Fremont Branch , The Seattle Public Library, opens in the Fremont neighborhood in 1921. It is the last of the Seattle libraries financed by Andrew Carnegie (1835-1919). It is designed by Daniel R. Huntington in the Mission style and is furnished with Stickley Arts-and-Crafts lounge chairs built by McNeil Island prisoners.
Paul Dorpat with Chris Goodman, "Times and Tomes Past: A Pictorial History of the Seattle Public Library," in Magic Lantern, Galleries Library (www.historylink.org).
Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that
encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both
HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any
reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this
Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For
more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact
the source noted in the image credit.
Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided
The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins
| Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry
| 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle
| City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach
Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private
Sponsors and Visitors Like You