On May 29, 1977, Sand Point Park is renamed Warren G. Magnuson Park and officially opened before cheering supporters and glum picketers. Senator Magnuson (1905-1989) tells the crowd that a $700,000 federal grant to build new facilities won approval the previous Friday.
In addition to Senator Magnuson, Mayor Wes Uhlman (b. 1935) and City Councilwoman Jeanette Williams (1914-2008) were guests of honor. Both had both worked to create the park and to close down the existing airport at the site.
Picketers criticized the closing of the airport and the location of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's (NOAA) Western headquarters nearby. It was also considered unusual to name a park for a living person.
The Navy had declared the land at Sand Point surplus. Part of the land (100 acres) became the Western headquarters of NOAA. Another 195.6 acres land became Warren G. Magnuson Park.
John O'Ryan, "Warren Magnuson Park Dedicated at Sand Point," Seattle Post-Intelligencer, May 30, 1977, p. A-1.
Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that
encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both
HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any
reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this
Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For
more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact
the source noted in the image credit.
Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided
The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins
| Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry
| 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle
| City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach
Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private
Sponsors and Visitors Like You