King County Landmarks: Prescott-Harshman House (1904), Fall City
Address: 33429 Redmond-Fall City Road, Fall City. The Prescott-Harshman house was built in 1904 on a prominent corner lot facing the main road through Fall City. Its elegant porch, tall, narrow windows, and hipped roof reflect the influence of the Queen Anne style. Julia and Newton Harshman, who purchased the house in 1912 from the Prescotts, played an important role in expanding telephone service in the rural community.
By 1905 residents in Fall City and Tolt (now Carnation) banded together to connect telephone lines from their stores to the Northern Pacific Depot and establish a fledgling company. The Harshmans provided the first $300 in financial backing for the project and later, in 1912, moved the Fall City Switchboard to their newly purchased home. Julia operated the switchboard until her death. Her daughter then ran the board until 1951 when a dial system eliminated the need for a switchboard operation. The house, which had fallen into disrepair, was restored during the 1980s for use as office space.