King County Landmarks: Camp North Bend (1935), North Bend
Address: 45509 SE 150th Street, North Bend. Camp North Bend, located east of the town of North Bend at the base of Snoqualmie Pass, was constructed by and for the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) in 1935.
Introduced by President Franklin D. Roosevelt in 1933, the CCC provided jobs for more than 1.5 million unemployed men on conservation projects such as forestry stabilization, park improvements, and soil erosion control. Camp North Bend reflects the uniform design and building arrangement of CCC camp construction.
Out of more than 4,000 "temporary" CCC camps built nationwide, Camp North Bend is one of the few that remain intact. Extant buildings at the camp include a dining hall, barracks, office, Forest Service quarters, and an education building. Now (2000) known as Camp Waskowitz, the camp has housed the Highline School District’s outdoor education program since the 1950s.