King County Landmarks: Town of Selleck (1908-1939), Kangley vicinity
Address: North of Kangley on Kangley Road which turns into 348th Street. In 1908, the Pacific States Lumber Company built the town of Selleck around a new lumber mill located northeast of Black Diamond. Although the mill closed during the Great Depression and has since been torn down, Selleck contains the largest concentration of original milltown structures in King County. The remaining buildings include half of the original single-story company houses, the substantial Craftsman mill superintendent's house, the community hall, and a two-story school. Among the 500 residents during the town's heyday in the 1920s were Japanese mill workers and their families who lived in an area called the Japanese Camp. Few historic structures remain in the Japanese Camp, but a recent archaeological investigation has provided more information about this important part of the Selleck community.
King County Landmarks and Heritage Commission.