Seattle Car Manufacturing Co. opened its doors in June 1905 on property belonging to Seattle Steel Co. William Pigott (1860-1929) started both companies. In 1908, the Humphrey plant burned to the ground, but construction of a new facility near Renton had already begun. In 1911, the company became Seattle Car and Foundry. In 1917, it became Pacific Car and Foundry Co. when it merged with a Portland competitor, Twohy Brothers.
In 1924, Pacific Car was sold to American Car Manufacturing Co. In 1934, William Pigott's son Paul (1900-1961) and Seattle investors bought the company back. By 1960, under Paul Pigott's leadership, the company grew to become one of the top 300 manufacturing firms in the United States.