Seattle Landmarks: 14th Avenue W Residences (1890-1910)
Address: 2000-2016 14th Avenue W, Seattle. At the end of the nineteenth century, Smith's Cove extended north along 15th Avenue W. Slavic and Finnish immigrants established a community at the foot of Queen Anne Hill along the shore. They built frame houses to take advantage of the breezes and the views.
The Gilman House, 2016 14th Avenue W, was built in 1891 and is one of the few surviving examples of the Queen Anne architecture that gave the area its name. Other houses in the group are in the Victorian style and were typical middle-class and working-class homes of the era.
The houses were declared a Seattle Landmark on October 23, 1978.
Seattle Department of Neighborhoods, Landmarks Preservation Board, 700 Third Avenue, 4th Floor, Seattle, Washington;
Lawrence Kreisman, Made to Last: Historic Preservation in Seattle and King County (Seattle: University of Washington Press, 1999), 55.