On November 6, 1890, Fr. Leopold Van Gorp, SJ, purchases nine lots at the corner of Broadway and Madison Street, on the eastern slope of First Hill, for development of a Jesuit school. The Rocky Mountain Mission of the Society of Jesus pays Arthur Denny $18, 382 for the parcel in the newly platted Broadway Addition.
The site included a single structure, a large wood-frame house rented by the Woman's Christian Temperance Union. The parish and school of the Immaculate Conception were established here in 1894 and later evolved into Seattle University, which still occupies the original tract.