On August 21, 1889, the Maple Leaf Post Office, located in a future neighborhood of Seattle, starts distributing mail. The postmaster is Stewart H. Seelye, who serves till the post office closes on May 1, 1891. This post office likely was established in conjunction with a subdivision named Maple Leaf to Green Lake Circle. The plat is located between the streets that would later be called NE 85th and 105th streets and 5th Avenue NE and 25th Avenue NE.
When the post office closed, the mail was transferred to the Pontiac Post Office located along the west shoreline of Lake Washington near Sand Point.
The site of Maple Leaf subdivision was annexed to the City of Seattle in the early 1950s.
Guy Reed Ramsey, "Postmarked Washington, 1850-1960," Microfilm (Olympia: Washington State Library, February, 1966), p. 622.
Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that
encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both
HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any
reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this
Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For
more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact
the source noted in the image credit.
Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided
The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins
| Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry
| 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle
| City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach
Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private
Sponsors and Visitors Like You