In February 1927, the Henry Art Gallery, the first public art museum in the state of Washington, is founded in Seattle. Horace C. Henry (1844-1928), a collector, philanthropist, and builder, founds the museum and donates the funds to the University of Washington to construct the original building, which is designed by architect Carl Gould.
The original collection consisted of late nineteenth-century and early twentieth-century landscape paintings donated by Horace Henry. The museum is located in the University District on the western edge of the University of Washington campus at 15th Avenue NE and NE 41st Street. In 1997, the museum underwent a major expansion, designed by Charles Gwathmey.