On December 4, 1883, the Tolt Post Office opens. Moses Morris, the first postmaster, distributes the mail from his log cabin. The post office did not operate from January 28, 1884 to August 11, 1884.
On October 1, 1922, the name Tolt changed to Carnation. The town was renamed for Carnation Dairy, a world famous dairy farm started in 1910. The new name was controversial: Tolt had been the traditional Indian name. (The town had been the main village site for the Snoqualmies for thousands of years). In subsequent years the name reverted to Tolt, and then back to Carnation.
The original location of the post office was on the east side of Lake Washington, about two miles south of the future location of Carnation on the east bank of Snoqualmie River.
Guy Reed Ramsey, "Postmarked Washington, 1850-1960," Microfilm (Olympia: Washington State Library, February, 1966), 585-587; Historylink.org Online Encyclopedia of Washington State History, "Carnation/Tolt -- Thumbnail History" (by Alan J. Stein), http://www.historylink.org/ accessed December 6, 1998.
Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that
encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both
HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any
reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this
Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For
more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact
the source noted in the image credit.
Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided
The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins
| Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry
| 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle
| City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach
Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private
Sponsors and Visitors Like You