City of Tacoma buys Tacoma Light and Water Co. on July 1, 1893.

  • By David Wilma
  • Posted 12/03/2002
  • HistoryLink.org Essay 5022
On July 1, 1893, the City of Tacoma buys the drinking water and electrical power properties of Tacoma Light and Water Co. from Charles B. Wright (1822-1898) for $1.75 million. The deal is not a good one for the City, but it places Tacoma at the vanguard of the municipal ownership movement in Washington and in the nation.

In 1884, Northern Pacific Railroad President Charles Wright organized Tacoma Light and Water and acquired a franchise from the City Council to provide drinking water and electricity in Tacoma. This put competitor and City Council member John E. Burns out of business. In the words of historian Murray Morgan, Burns embarked on a campaign against “the Railroad Crowd, Philadelphia Nabobs, and the Dogfish Aristocracy, finding them impediments to civic progress, enemies of the working man, and dangers to the purity of drinking water” (Morgan, 315).

When railroad builder Nelson Bennett purchased the Tacoma Hotel from the Tacoma Land Co. (a subsidiary of the Northern Pacific), his water bill jumped from $75 a month to $502. Nelson complained to NP President Wright in Philadelphia. Wright then jacked up  Bennett’s home water bill too. Bennett went to the City Council, which was already concerned about cases of typhoid in the city. Drinking water flowed to the city in open flumes to humans and farm animals. Wright threatened to stop spending money on the water system and suggested that the City might like to buy it.

Wright and the Council negotiated a $1.75 million purchase price for the water and electrical systems. The voters approved the deal (with a margin of 104 votes in a three-fifths majority) on April 11, 1893. Tacoma soon learned that it had been the victim of some sharp dealings. The gas works was not included and Spanaway Lake was contaminated. The flumes were falling apart. One dam had failed. Other sources of fresh water turned out to be in private hands or smaller than advertised. The electrical plant was inadequate and in poor repair. The City had gone $300,000 over its debt limit so there was no money for repairs or improvements. After years of litigation, Wright’s estate paid the City $125,000 in fees and damages.

Dissatisfaction with privately owned utilities was widespread and many other cities also entered the utility business to obtain lower rates and better service.


Sources: Murray Morgan, Puget's Sound: A Narrative of Early Tacoma and the Southern Sound (Seattle: University of Washington Press, 1979, 314-320; John S. Ott and Dick Malloy, The First 100 Years: 1893-1993 -- The Tacoma Public Utilities Story (Tacoma: Tacoma Public Utilities, 1993), 15-17.

Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact the source noted in the image credit.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License
Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins | Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry | 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle | City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private Sponsors and Visitors Like You