Whatcom and Fairhaven merge to form Bellingham on December 28, 1903.

  • By Priscilla Long
  • Posted 3/17/2003
  • HistoryLink.org Essay 5431
On December 28, 1903, the towns of Whatcom and Fairhaven merge to form the town of Bellingham.  Bellingham is the county seat of Whatcom County.  It is located on Bellingham Bay in Northwest Washington, and is the last major town before the U.S.-Canadian border.

The area is the ancestral home of the Lummi, Nooksack, and Semiahmoo tribes.  George Vancouver anchored just to the north in Birch Bay in 1792.   The first major influx of Euro-American peoples came with the Fraser River gold rush of 1858.  By the 1880s the area was well settled, with the economy based on timber, coal, fishing, canning, and farming.  Bellingham had a railroad connection to the trans-Canada line.


Sources: WPA Papers (papers used in preparation for Washington: a Guide to the Evergreen State), Box 13, Folder 2, Bundle 2, p. 3, Washington State Historical Society; "History," Bellingham, Washington, Website (http://www.bellingham.org).

Related Topics:   Cities & Towns

Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact the source noted in the image credit.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License
Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins | Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry | 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle | City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private Sponsors and Visitors Like You