Seattle Jewish Fund (later renamed Jewish Federation of Greater Seattle) is created in January 1928.
In January 1928, the Jewish Federation of Greater Seattle is created as the Seattle Jewish Fund out of a communal need to raise funds, allocate them, and evaluate non-local Jewish organizations. Called the Seattle Jewish Fund, it serves as the city's first centralized Jewish umbrella institution, one which sponsors and funds groups and institutions both within its own organization and outside.
- By Lee Micklin
- Posted 12/18/1998
- HistoryLink.org Essay 547
Minutes of The Jewish Federation, 1945-1946, University of Washington Jewish Archives, University of Washington Libraries Special Collections, Seattle; "The Seattle Jewish Fund," Temple Tidings, January 22, 1928; "The Federated Jewish Fund," Temple Tidings, April 30 1936; Rabbi Jim Mirel, "The History of the Seattle Jewish Community," taped lecture, tapes 1-2, University of Washington Jewish Archives, University of Washington Libraries Special Collections, Seattle.
Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that
encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both
HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any
reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this
Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For
more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact
the source noted in the image credit.
Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided
The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins
| Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry
| 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle
| City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach
Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private
Sponsors and Visitors Like You