The opening of a post office is an important marker of the beginning of a community. On December 5, 1894, the Greenlake Post Office opens. Matilda S. Petersen is appointed postmaster. The Green Lake post office was located within the present city limits of Seattle in the Greenlake neighborhood at the southwest corner of NE 72nd Street and Woodlawn Avenue NE. It was located in the Greenlake Grocery, which also served as the postmaster's residence.
Green Lake became a neighborhood of Seattle upon annexation on May 3, 1891. On July 15, 1901, post office operations were transferred to the Seattle Post Office.
Guy Reed Ramsey, "Postmarked Washington, 1850-1960," Microfilm (Olympia: Washington State Library, February, 1966), 655.
Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that
encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both
HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any
reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this
Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For
more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact
the source noted in the image credit.
Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided
The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins
| Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry
| 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle
| City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach
Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private
Sponsors and Visitors Like You