On May 10, 2008, the Madrona-Sally Goldmark Branch, The Seattle Public Library, reopens after an $893,000 renovation. The small former fire station at 1134 33rd Avenue has housed the library since 1973.
Heliotrope Architects opened up the interior of the 1,707-square-foot branch by replacing three wooden columns with a steel beam. They reconfigured the space for better efficiency. The brick exterior was cleaned, tuck-pointed, and acid-washed and includes a new canopy over the book drop to protect patrons from the weather. Construction was by Cope Construction Co.
Though small, the branch is heavily used by residents and schoolchildren. An estimated 1,200 people turned out for the reopening. Branch materials lean toward items for children, popular fiction, and DVDs. There are nine computers for the public and space for 14,000 books and materials.
Art at the branch includes an oil painting by Seattle artist Mary Iverson, a ceramic sculpture by artist and longtime Madrona resident Monad Elohim, and, on the lawn outside, Richard Beyer's sculpture, "The Peaceable Kingdom," which depicts a mountain lion, pig, sheep, and wolf.
The branch remodeling was the 26th project completed under the city’s $196.4 million “Libraries for All” program.