Hadassah, Seattle Chapter

  • By Lee Micklin
  • Posted 3/17/1999
  • HistoryLink.org Essay 972
Hadassah, a Jewish women's organization, was founded with the goals of fostering Zionist ideals in America through education and to begin public health nursing and nurses' training in Palestine. Gisell Herzog of Montreal, on a visit to Seattle, founded the Seattle chapter of Hadassah in April 1923.

Hadassah was founded nationally in 1912 by Henrietta Szold. Early Seattle chapters were named B'not Jacob, (Daughters of Jacob), Queen Esther, and Deborah. The first activity of these chapters was sewing clothes for children in Palestine.

The women of Hadassah in Seattle devoted themselves to raising funds for Israel. At weddings and anniversaries, certificates for Israel were given as gifts. Many fundraising activities were fun and inventive. There were card games, greeting card sales, a lending library, a theater party. Women brought five-gallon milk bottles to meetings, measured their waistlines, and were required to put as many pennies in the bottle as their waistline measured. Another innovative project was a baby shower in which items were supplied for the Maternity Department of Hadassah Hospital in Jerusalem.

In 1940, Junior Hadassah was formed, offering summer camps, scholarships, Israel tours, and leadership training. Meetings were held at the Temple Center, at Temple de Hirsch. Throughout World War II, Hadassah was active in supporting Red Cross, USO, War Bonds and War Stamps, and the Palestine War Relief.

In 1951, Hadassah was instrumental in bringing the Israeli Philharmonic to Seattle. In 1964, Hadassah sponsored Theodore Bikel at the Music Hall.

In 1966, Hadassah opened The Nearly New Shop at 414 Broadway. This thrift shop was a major fundraiser. In the 1970s, Hadassah actively worked at ameliorating the plight of Soviet Jewry and sponsored "the Women's Plea for Soviet Jewry." Many Russian families left Russia to escape persecution. Hadassah assisted those who immigrated to Seattle with settlement and learning English.

Today (1999) there are five Hadassah groups in the Seattle area with a membership of more than 1,200. Programs include Training Wheels, to strengthen Jewish identity of families with 2-5 year olds, and Curriculum Watch, to monitor textbooks for inaccuracies and stereotypes about Jews, Judaism, and Israel. Other programs and goals include women's health awareness, voter registration drives, advocacy for women's rights, and activism against domestic violence. Support for Hadassah Medical Organization continues; internationally Hadassah was responsible for the largest shipment of supplies sent to Bosnia by a non-governmental agency.


Sources: Ida Altman, "Hadassah, Seattle Chapter, 1923-1987," typescript, University of Washington Libraries, Archives and University Manuscripts, Acc. No. 2565-8, Box 1; Washington State Jewish Historical Society, The Jewish Experience in Washington State: A Chronology 1853-1995 (Washington State Jewish Historical Society, 1998).

Related Topics:   Jews in Washington | Organizations | Women's History

Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact the source noted in the image credit.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License
Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins | Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry | 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle | City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private Sponsors and Visitors Like You