Jimi Hendrix Clara McCarty Captain Robert Gray Anna Louise StrongAnna Louise Strong Bailey Gatzert Home WWII Women Pilots
Search Encyclopedia
Facebook
Advanced Search
Featured Eassy Sponsor of the Week Book Store Donate Now
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search
6871 HistoryLink.org essays now available      
Donate Subscribe

Shortcuts

Libraries
Cyberpedias Cyberpedias
Timeline Essays Timeline Essays
People's Histories People's Histories

Selected Collections
Cities & Towns Cities & Towns
County Thumbnails Counties
Biographies Biographies
Interactive Cybertours Interactive Cybertours
Slide Shows Slideshows
Public Ports Public Ports
Audio & Video Audio & Video

Research Shortcuts

Map Searches
Alphabetical Search
Timeline Date Search
Topic Search

Features

Book of the Fortnight
Audio/Video Enhanced
History Bookshelf
Klondike Gold Rush Database
Duvall Newspaper Index
Wellington Scrapbook

More History

Washington FAQs
Washington Milestones
Honor Rolls
Columbia Basin
Everett
Olympia
Seattle
Spokane
Tacoma
Walla Walla
Roads & Rails

Timeline Library

< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >

NewHolly Branch, The Seattle Public Library, opens on November 20, 1999.

HistoryLink.org Essay 3988 : Printer-Friendly Format

On November 20, 1999, the NewHolly Branch, The Seattle Public Library, opens on Beacon Hill. It is the first branch built under the "Libraries For All" bond issue. The $1 million building replaces a decrepit remnant of the Holly Park Housing Project built during World War II to house war workers. The new library is at 7058 32nd Avenue S at the entrance to the NewHolly development and will complement a family center next door.

The first library in Holly Park opened in 1943 for residents who were employed in war industries. After World War II, the branch served low-income families. The library moved twice into remodeled housing units designed as residences, not public buildings. Frequently, young readers were lined up outside the doors because there was no room inside.

In 1998, Seattle voters approved a $196.4 million bond issue to build new branch libraries and a new central library. ARC Architects designed the NewHolly Branch with a bowed roof, high windows, and 362,987 square feet to accommodate 12,000 books, tapes, and CDs, plus a meeting room. Computer terminals enabled users to link to the library catalog and to the Internet. Mayor Paul Schell (1937-2014) was on hand for the opening, along with the Garfield Jazz Band, the Van Asselt Elementary School Choir, and the Sonics Squatchmobile -- the Sonics' mascot (a primate with superior shooting skills) along with his transportation.

Sources:
Tracy Johnson, "Brand-New Library Replaces A Dump," Seattle Post-Intelligencer, November 20, 1999, p. B-1; Marsha King, "Library Is Bigger and Better," The Seattle Times, November 21, 1999, p. B-1.


Travel through time (chronological order):
< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >

Special Suite: The Seattle Public Library |

Related Topics: Education | Buildings |

Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact the source noted in the image credit.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License


Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins | Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry | 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle | City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private Sponsors and Visitors Like You


This essay made possible by:
Seattle Public Library Foundation


NewHolly Branch, The Seattle Public Library (1999), 2001
Courtesy The Seattle Public Library


 
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search

HistoryLink.org is the first online encyclopedia of local and state history created expressly for the Internet. (SM)
HistoryLink.org is a free public and educational resource produced by History Ink, a 501 (c) (3) tax-exempt corporation.
Contact us by phone at 206.447.8140, by mail at Historylink, 1411 4th Ave. Suite 803, Seattle WA 98101 or email admin@historylink.org

Untitled Document