< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >
Leschi, the first auto ferry in Western Washington, is launched on Lake Washington on December 6, 1913.
HistoryLink.org Essay 2040
: Printer-Friendly Format
On December 6, 1913, the auto ferry Leschi is launched from Rainier Beach on Lake Washington. Originally designed as a side-wheeler, the Leschi is owned and authorized by the Seattle Port Commission, and is the first public, tax-supported water transportation in the Puget Sound region. The Leschi is built in response to requests from Bellevue farmers, who need a better way to transport their goods to market than by taking the passenger-only steamers then in service from Kirkland.
Crossing the Lake
When regular ferry service began on Lake Washington in the late 1800s, Kirkland was the primary stop for private ferries on Lake Washington. Early steamboats were less than 100 feet long, and by the end of the century, Kirkland residents needed larger vessels to meet their needs. In 1900, they requested King County Commissioners to build them a dock and set up a ferry run that could accommodate wagons and horses.
The county built the King County of Kent, and placed it into service between Madison Park and Kirkland. Seven years later, the county funded construction of the Washington of Kirkland, a slightly larger boat, for the same run. Meanwhile, private ferry boats continued to serve other docks on the lake, including those at Medina and Bellevue.
By 1910, farmers in Bellevue were tired of transporting their goods to the Kirkland ferry dock, and requested a public route to their own city's dock in Meydenbauer Bay. Bellevue residents also felt that the ferries operating to and from Kirkland were inadequate in size, and were not built to transport motor vehicles. If Bellevue got its own public route, they'd need a new ferryboat too -- one that could carry cars and trucks.
Support from the Port
The task of creating this new ferry service fell upon the newly created Seattle Port Commission. Whereas some people thought that a private ferry system would fill the need, the commission felt that public ownership was necessary because the new ferry route was "virtually a part of the public highway system" (The Seattle Times, January 21, 1912).
The Port put the creation of the new ferry service up for a public vote, proposing $150,000 in ferry bonds. On March 5, 1912, the proposal passed with strong support, 37,039 to 15,342, making it the first public, tax-supported water transportation in the Puget Sound region.
On January 10, 1913, the Port awarded an $85,000 contract to Fred Ballin of Portland and L. E. Geary (1885-1960) of Seattle to design a steel-hull vessel large enough to carry motor vehicles. Work began in May at the J. F. Duthie and Company shipyard, located on the East Waterway in Seattle. Designed as a side-wheeler, the vessel would be 169 feet long, 52.3 feet in beam, and 8.75 feet in depth. It would accommodate 50 automobiles and teams.
Launching the Leschi
After the hull was completed at the Duthie shipyard, it was taken apart and the pieces were then shipped by rail to Taylor's Mill, located along Rainier Beach on Lake Washington. By this time they decided to name the vessel Leschi, after the famed Nisqually chief. Eleanor Chittenden (1892-1970), daughter of port commissioner Hiram M. Chittenden (1858-1917) was chosen to christen the Leschi at its launch.
On December 6, 1913, the day of the launch, between four and five thousand people showed up for the event. So that eastside residents could attend, the privately owned Anderson Steamboat Company donated two of its own ferries to transport people across the lake to Rainier Beach. Music at the celebration was provided by Cavanaugh's Band.
After various speeches were given by port commissioners and other elected officials, the signal was given to launch the boat. Eleanor Chittenden broke a champagne bottle against its side, proclaiming, "I christen thee Leschi," and 13-year-old Wallace Duthie (1900-1922) -- son of the shipyard owner -- flicked a pneumatic switch, which sent the craft down the ways. It was a smooth launch.
Decades of Service
After a few finishing touches were made to the vessel, the Leschi was ready for its trial run on December 27. Because the ferry landings were not yet complete at Medina and Bellevue, the trial was performed between Madison Park and Kirkland. The Leschi, filled with invited guests, performed admirably and achieved a top speed of 15.5 miles per hour. Even though the weather was bleak, hundreds of people gathered along the shores of the lake to cheer the vessel on.
The Leschi entered service between Leschi Park and Medina and Bellevue on April 1, 1914. It carried 156 passengers its first day, 265 on the next day, and 283 the day after that. Many predicted that the new ferry would increase car sales on the eastside, now that there was an easy way for automobile owners in Bellevue and Kirkland to bring their vehicles into Seattle.
The Seattle Port Commission operated the ferry until 1918, after which the run was transferred to King County. In 1931, the side-wheeler was converted to a diesel driven ferry, and continued to operate on Lake Washington until 1950, 10 years after the first bridge crossed the lake. After that the boat was purchased by Washington State Ferries for use on Puget Sound. In 1968 it was sold for use as a salmon cannery in Alaska. Today (2013), the Leschi's wrecked hull lies abandoned in Shotgun Cove, near Whittier, Alaska.
"Strong Argument for Bellevue Ferry Made," The Seattle Times, December 28, 1911, p. 19; "Planning to Make Seattle Big World's Port," The Seattle Times, January 21, 1912, p. 27; "Mayor Dilling Will Proclaim Result of Seattle's Election," The Seattle Times, March 8, 1912, pp. 1, 4; "Lake Ferry Plan to be Discussed Again," The Seattle Times, August 6, 1912, p. 4; "Harbor Commission Lets Big Contracts," The Seattle Times, January 13, 1913, p. 7; "Work Begun on Port Commission's Ferry," The Seattle Times, May 11, 1913, p. 26; "Building of Leschi Proceeding Rapidly," The Seattle Times, September 7, 1913, p. 30; "Eleanor Chittenden to Christen Ferry," The Seattle Times, November 28, 1913, p. 22; "Ferry Leschi Goes Into Waters of Lake," The Seattle Times, December 7, 1913, p. 30; "Leschi Official Trial Tomorrow," The Seattle Times, December 27, 1913, p. 17; "New Ferry Leschi Undergoes Trials," The Seattle Times, December 28, 1913, p. 26; "New Lake Ferry Makes Good Time on her Trial Run," Seattle Post-Intelligencer, December 28, 1913, p. 15; "Leschi's Business Is Unexpectedly Heavy," The Seattle Times, April 5, 1914, p. 26; "Arrange Steps to Hand Lake Ferries to County," The Seattle Times, August 8, 1918, p. 12; "As a Matter of Fact: Lake Washington Ferry Service," The Seattle Times, July 9, 1928, p. 6; "Converted Sidewheel Steamer is Puget Sound Ferry," The Seattle Times, November 15, 1962, p. 29; "Side Wheel Ferry Leschi," International Marine Engineering, Vol. 18, November 1913, p. 470; Walt Woodward, "Port of Seattle History -- Draft 1," unpublished manuscript, Port of Seattle files; HistoryLink.org Online Encyclopedia of Washington State History, "The ferry Leschi makes its last run, ending ferry service on Lake Washington on August 31, 1950. (by Alan J. Stein), http://www.historylink.org/ (accessed February 7, 2013).
Note: This essay replaces an earlier essay on the same subject.
Travel through time (chronological order):
< Browse to Previous Essay
Browse to Next Essay >
Washington State Ferries |
Roads & Rails |
Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that
encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both
HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any
reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this
Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For
more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact
the source noted in the image credit.
Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided
By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins
| Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry
| 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle
| City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach
Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private
Sponsors and Visitors Like You
This essay made possible by:
Washington State Ferries
Ferry Leschi on Lake Washington, 1940s