Fred Hutchinson James Delmage Ross Dixy Lee Ray George W. Bush Hazel Wolf Henry M Jackson Warren G. Magnuson Home
Search Encyclopedia
Advanced Search
Featured Essay
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search
7100 essays now available      
Donation system not supported by Safari     Donate Subscribe


Cyberpedias Cyberpedias
Timeline Essays Timeline Essays
People's Histories People's Histories

Selected Collections
Cities & Towns Cities & Towns
County Thumbnails Counties
Biographies Biographies
Interactive Cybertours Interactive Cybertours
Slide Shows Slideshows
Public Ports Public Ports
Audio & Video Audio & Video

Research Shortcuts

Map Searches
Alphabetical Search
Timeline Date Search
Topic Search


Book of the Fortnight
Audio/Video Enhanced
History Bookshelf
Klondike Gold Rush Database
Duvall Newspaper Index
Wellington Scrapbook

More History

Washington FAQs
Washington Milestones
Honor Rolls
Columbia Basin
Walla Walla
Roads & Rails

Timeline Library

< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >

King County Sheriff's Special Deputy Steve S. Watson dies in street brawl during Longshoremen's strike on July 9, 1934. Essay 3762 : Printer-Friendly Format

On July 9, 1934, King County Sheriff's Special Deputy Steve S. Watson dies in a street brawl during a Longshoremen's strike. Watson is one of eight men killed during the strike, which closed West Coast ports for 83 days.

On May 9, 1934, members of the International Longshoremen's Association struck ports and steamship lines on the West Coast for recognition, wages, and working conditions. Violence between strikers, strike breakers, and local police erupted, resulting in deaths in San Francisco and on Puget Sound. Seattle Police, assisted by 200 special deputies sworn into service by the King County Sheriff, mobilized to break the strike. The opposing forces confronted one another daily. Typically, men deputized for special purposes received no training and were paid a daily wage for their service.

On July 9, 1934, strikers encountered a carload of special deputies at 3rd Avenue and Seneca Street in Seattle. The deputies' car was overturned and Watson was found dead, shot with his own gun. A coroner's inquest failed to identify the person(s) responsible.

Ross Rieder, "West Coast Waterfront Strike of 1934," Historylink Metropedia Library (

Travel through time (chronological order):
< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >

Related Topics: Labor | Crime |

Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both and to the author, and sources must be included with any reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact the source noted in the image credit.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License

Major Support for Provided By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins | Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry | 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle | City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private Sponsors and Visitors Like You

Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search is the first online encyclopedia of local and state history created expressly for the Internet. (SM) is a free public and educational resource produced by History Ink, a 501 (c) (3) tax-exempt corporation.
Contact us by phone at 206.447.8140, by mail at Historylink, 1411 4th Ave. Suite 803, Seattle WA 98101 or email