Captain George Vancouver Julia Butler Hansen Carlos Bulosan Ernestine Anderson Kurt Cobain Bill Gates & Paul Allen Home
Search Encyclopedia
Facebook
Advanced Search
Donate Now! Book Store Featured Eassy Sponsor of the Week
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search
6771 HistoryLink.org essays now available      
Donate Subscribe

Shortcuts

Libraries
Cyberpedias Cyberpedias
Timeline Essays Timeline Essays
People's Histories People's Histories

Selected Collections
Cities & Towns Cities & Towns
County Thumbnails Counties
Biographies Biographies
Interactive Cybertours Interactive Cybertours
Slide Shows Slideshows
Public Ports Public Ports
Audio & Video Audio & Video

Research Shortcuts

Map Searches
Alphabetical Search
Timeline Date Search
Topic Search

Features

Book of the Fortnight
Audio/Video Enhanced
History Bookshelf
Klondike Gold Rush Database
Duvall Newspaper Index
Wellington Scrapbook

More History

Washington FAQs
Washington Milestones
Honor Rolls
Columbia Basin
Everett
Olympia
Seattle
Spokane
Tacoma
Walla Walla
Roads & Rails

Timeline Library

< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >

Monohon beginnings: Donnelly Post Office opens on February 5, 1885.

HistoryLink.org Essay 456 : Printer-Friendly Format

On February 5, 1885, the Donnelly Post Office opens. Simon Donnelly is the first postmaster. The original location was in King County on the southwest shore of Squak Lake (later Lake Samammish). This was the location of a sawmill set up by Donnelly and a Mr. McMahone.

On December 10, 1888, the name of the post office changed to Monohon. Around this time, the sawmill, now under the ownership of Watson Allen and Albert L. Nelson, moved to the site of the homestead of Martin Monohon, on the east shore of Squak Lake.

The newly named Allen & Nelson Mill Co. now had access to the recently completed Seattle, Lake Shore & Eastern Railway. The mill provided lumber to rebuild Seattle after the Great Fire of 1889, and suppled the owners' pile-driving and construction business, mostly on the Seattle waterfront.

Sources:
Guy Reed Ramsey, "Postmarked Washington, 1850-1960," Microfilm (Olympia: Washington State Library, February, 1966), 614-615; Clarence Bagley, History of King County, Washington Vol. 1 (Chicago: The S. J. Clarke Publishing Co., 1929), 770-771; R. L. Polk & Co., Oregon Washington and Idaho Gazetteer and Business Directory, 1889-90 Vol. 4 (Portland, OR: Published by R. L. Polk, 1889), 673. R. L. Polk & Co., Oregon Washington and Idaho Gazetteer and Business Directory, 1891-92 Vol. 5 (Portland, OR: Published by R. L. Polk, 1892), 861; Erik Erikson, "Whatever happened to Monohon?" Issaquah History Online website (http://www.issaquahhistory.org/archives/ monohon_erickson_june2000.htm).
Note: This essay was expanded and corrected on July 9, 2005. The correct name of the town, frequently misspelled Monohan, is Monohon, named after the 1877 homesteader Martin Monohon.


Travel through time (chronological order):
< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >

Related Topics: Infrastructure | Government & Politics | Cities & Towns |

Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact the source noted in the image credit.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License


Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins | Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry | 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle | City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private Sponsors and Visitors Like You




Monohon, eastern shore of Lake Sammamish, ca. 1905
Courtesy Eastside Heritage Center (Image No. L 83.29a)


 
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search

HistoryLink.org is the first online encyclopedia of local and state history created expressly for the Internet. (SM)
HistoryLink.org is a free public and educational resource produced by History Ink, a 501 (c) (3) tax-exempt corporation.
Contact us by phone at 206.447.8140, by mail at Historylink, 1411 4th Ave. Suite 803, Seattle WA 98101 or email admin@historylink.org