Captain George Vancouver Julia Butler Hansen Carlos Bulosan Ernestine Anderson Kurt Cobain Bill Gates & Paul Allen Home
Search Encyclopedia
Facebook
Advanced Search
Featured Eassy Sponsor of the Week Book Store Donate Now
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search
6852 HistoryLink.org essays now available      
Donate Subscribe

Shortcuts

Libraries
Cyberpedias Cyberpedias
Timeline Essays Timeline Essays
People's Histories People's Histories

Selected Collections
Cities & Towns Cities & Towns
County Thumbnails Counties
Biographies Biographies
Interactive Cybertours Interactive Cybertours
Slide Shows Slideshows
Public Ports Public Ports
Audio & Video Audio & Video

Research Shortcuts

Map Searches
Alphabetical Search
Timeline Date Search
Topic Search

Features

Book of the Fortnight
Audio/Video Enhanced
History Bookshelf
Klondike Gold Rush Database
Duvall Newspaper Index
Wellington Scrapbook

More History

Washington FAQs
Washington Milestones
Honor Rolls
Columbia Basin
Everett
Olympia
Seattle
Spokane
Tacoma
Walla Walla
Roads & Rails

Timeline Library

< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >

Frederick & Nelson's frozen dessert (later mints) Frango is named on June 1, 1918.

HistoryLink.org Essay 5771 : Printer-Friendly Format

On June 1, 1918, a trademark document is submitted to the United States Patent Office for the name Frango. Originally used as the name of a frozen dessert served at the Frederick & Nelson department store in Seattle, it later is attached to small mints that quickly become a commercial icon for the Pacific Northwest, and a taste treat around the nation.

Just Dessert

The trademark was applied in preparation for the opening of the new Frederick & Nelson store at the corner of 5th Avenue and Pine Street in Seattle. When the store opened on September 3, 1918, it boasted a tearoom in which fashion shows were held for the enjoyment of the shoppers while they had lunch. Many diners finished their meal with a Frango, a frozen dessert that came in one of two flavors: maple and orange.

The flaky confection was made with 32 percent butterfat -- triple the amount in regular ice cream. It is unsure how the name Frango originated, although the "Fr" may have been used to tie in the name with Frederick.

In 1921, the store opened a candy kitchen, under the direction of Ray Clarence Alden. After a few years of selling hard candies and dipped chocolates, it was decided that a chocolate mint truffle might be a tasty addition. After some trial-and-error recipes, Alden concocted a treat made from cocoa beans, peppermint, and 40 percent butter. The Frango Mint was born.

Delighting the Nation

The tasty morsels were a huge success, aided by heavy promotion from Gil Ridean, head of Frederick & Nelson's Food Division. Packed in a green and white, eight-ounce tin, Frangos became the perfect gift for any occasion. Priced at 50 cents a tin, the sweets were both elegant and inexpensive.

When Donald Frederick sold his interest in the store to Marshall Field in 1929, Ridean and the candy staff went to Chicago to introduce the mints to executives. Marshall Field began producing its own version, and the candies began selling all over the country. Frederick & Nelson were the distributors west of the Mississippi, and Marshall Field covered the rest of the nation.

Whither Frangos?

When Frederick & Nelson filed for bankruptcy in 1991, Frango lovers throughout the Northwest feared a candy crisis and began hoarding their beloved truffles. During that year's Christmas season, lines formed around the block. Once the doors opened, the crowd dashed for the candy counter, while other sections of the store remained bereft of consumers.

In 1992, Frederick & Nelson closed its doors for good, but continued to operate the candy kitchen. Marshall Field fought for the right to distribute the mints nationwide, but another Seattle-based store -- the Bon Marche' -- stepped in for the licensing rights. The two stores worked out an agreement, and the Bon was given permission to sell Frangos at its stores in Washington, Idaho, Montana, and Oregon.

The agreement was made just in time for the 1992 Christmas season, and local sweet-tooths heaved a sugary sigh of relief. On November 5, 1992, Seattle Mayor Norm Rice held a ceremony at the Bon Marche' proclaiming the day as Frango Day. Frangos continued to be made and sold in the city in which they originated.

Sources:
Robert Spector, The Legend of Frango Chocolate (Kirkland, Washington: Documentary Book Publishers Corporation, 1993).


Travel through time (chronological order):
< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >

Related Topics: Business |

Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact the source noted in the image credit.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License


Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins | Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry | 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle | City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private Sponsors and Visitors Like You




 
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search

HistoryLink.org is the first online encyclopedia of local and state history created expressly for the Internet. (SM)
HistoryLink.org is a free public and educational resource produced by History Ink, a 501 (c) (3) tax-exempt corporation.
Contact us by phone at 206.447.8140, by mail at Historylink, 1411 4th Ave. Suite 803, Seattle WA 98101 or email admin@historylink.org