On December 26, 1892, Seattle's new "pesthouse" shelters 27 smallpox patients. Later called the Isolation Hospital, it is located two miles south of the city on densely wooded City property. Its purpose is to prevent the spread of contagious diseases.
The frame, one-story building was completed in November 1892, at a cost of $2,700 and was located in the southeast corner of what is now (2000) Jefferson Park Golf Course, near the intersection of 24th Avenue S, and S Alaska Street.
Thomas W. Prosch, "A Chronological History of Seattle From 1850 to 1897," typescript dated 1900-1901, Northwest Collection, University of Washington Library, Seattle, 421; Seattle Post-Intelligencer, November 29, 1892, p. 8; Real Estate Atlas of Surveys of Seattle (Philadelphia: G.G. Baist, 1908), plate 70; Atlas of Seattle, (Seattle: Kroll Map Co., 1995), plate 53.
Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that
encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both
HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any
reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this
Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For
more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact
the source noted in the image credit.
Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided
The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins
| Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry
| 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle
| City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach
Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private
Sponsors and Visitors Like You