King County Landmarks: Skykomish Historic Commercial District
Address: Vicinity of Railroad Avenue, Skykomish.
The four block long Skykomish Historic Commercial District encompasses the heart of the historic railroading community of Skykomish. The 11 contributing buildings within the district document four periods of town history.
Maloney’s General Store (1893), the Great Northern Railroad Depot (1894), and Patrick McEvoy House (1897) come from the early days of the town, which was founded in 1893 with the railroad’s coming over Stevens Pass.
The distinctive Skykomish Hotel (1904), Maloney’s Warehouse (1906), and the Whistling Post Tavern (1905) were built after a fire destroyed most of the commercial district in 1904.
The Cascadia Hotel (1922), the Teacherage (1920), the Town Hall (1926), and the school’s Manual Training building (1923) were built during the 1920s, a period when tunnel construction on the railroad spurred development.
The landmark Skykomish School (1936) anchors the district's western end.
King County Landmarks and Heritage Commission.