On January 10, 1901, mill owner John McMaster (1849-1930) names the village of Kenmore in honor of his previous home of Kenmore, Ontario. McMaster also serves as the community's first postmaster. Kenmore is located in King County 12 miles north of Seattle and 2.5 miles west of Bothell at the north end of Lake Washington.
John McMaster moved to the Pacific Northwest in 1889, and was a prominent shingle mill operator in Snohomish and Kitsap counties before establishing the McMaster Shingle Mill in Kenmore in 1901. In 1903, he became Kenmore's first postmaster, with the opening of the first post office, which delivered mail from the company store of his sawmill.
McMaster chose the name Kenmore in honor of his earlier home in Kenmore, Ontario. Kenmore, Ontario, was in turn named for the town of Kenmore, Scotland, and a century later the village still honors its Scottish roots with an annual Founders' Day celebration, held on January 10.
Guy Reed Ramsey, "Postmarked Washington, 1850-1960," Microfilm (Olympia: Washington State Library, February, 1966), 672-673; Additional information provided by the Kenmore Heritage Society.
Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that
encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both
HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any
reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this
Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For
more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact
the source noted in the image credit.
Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided
The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins
| Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry
| 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle
| City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach
Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private
Sponsors and Visitors Like You