From October 12 to 20, 1933, the tug Creole tows the burned hull of the ferry Peralta north from San Francisco to Puget Sound. Captain Alexander Peabody, of the Puget Sound Navigation Co. (The Black Ball Ferry Line), intends to use the hull to rebuild a modern, streamlined ferry. The ferry will be the renowned Puget Sound ferry Kalakala.
After an eight-day journey, the hull arrives at the Lake Washington Shipyard in Kirkland, Washington, and the project began under supervision of Black Ball marine superintendent James E. Murphy and naval architect Helmuth W. Schmitz.
M[ary] S. Kline and G. A. Bayless, Ferryboats: A Legend on Puget Sound (Seattle: Bayless Books, 1983), 229-247.
Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that
encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both
HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any
reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this
Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For
more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact
the source noted in the image credit.
Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided
The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins
| Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry
| 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle
| City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach
Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private
Sponsors and Visitors Like You