In 1890, the West Coast Improvement Company builds the second bridge, a railroad bridge, across Salmon Bay. This is part of its land development plan for Gilman Park, soon to be renamed Ballard (annexed to Seattle in 1907). The firm built the first bridge, a wagon bridge, the year before. Salmon Bay will become part of the Lake Washington Ship Canal.
The West Coast Improvement Company consisted of Captain William Rankin Ballard (1847-1929), his wife Estelle Ballard, Thomas Burke (1849-1925), his wife Carrie Burke, John Leary (1837-1905), his wife Mary Leary, William Crawford, his wife Mary Crawford, and Alonzo Hamblet, Arthur Denny (1822-1899), his wife Mary Boren Denny, and Dexter Horton (1825-1904). This was a combination of Seattle interests and Salmon Bay pioneers.
Kay F. Reinartz, "Gilman Park and the West Coast Improvement Company," in Passport to Ballard (Seattle: Ballard News Tribune, 1988), 26.
Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that
encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both
HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any
reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this
Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For
more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact
the source noted in the image credit.
Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided
The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins
| Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry
| 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle
| City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach
Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private
Sponsors and Visitors Like You