The third drawbridge was built by J. A. McEachern Co. It had a double streetcar track and wood planking. In December 1924, the first of two permanent spans was completed. By 1925, the wooden bridge had deteriorated to the point that it was used only for streetcar traffic. The city council was compelled to make a number of emergency appropriations to keep it in operation.
On January 13, 1928, it was closed to streetcars, and passengers had to disembark and walk across the bridge to continue their journeys. Streetcars began using the new bascule bridge a few days later.