In 1872, the Northern Pacific Railroad establishes a rail junction at Seatco 15 miles south of Olympia and calls it Tenino. The name derives from a Chinook word meaning junction, referring to the junction of military roads between Fort Vancouver, Olympia, and Steilacoom.
In 1852, Stephen Hodgson filed a Donation Land Claim on a prairie 15 miles south of Olympia and a small settlement grew. In 1872, the Northern Pacific Railroad established Tenino station there on the line between Kalama and New Tacoma (bypassing Olympia). Legend incorrectly held that the Northern Pacific chose Tenino because of the numbers on a surveyor's stake -- 10-9-0 -- or on the side of a locomotive.
Gordon R. Newell, So Fair A Dwelling Place: A History of Olympia and Thurston County, Washington (Olympia: The Olympia News Publishing Co., 1950), 27.
Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that
encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both
HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any
reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this
Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For
more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact
the source noted in the image credit.
Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided
The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins
| Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry
| 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle
| City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach
Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private
Sponsors and Visitors Like You