Fred Hutchinson James Delmage Ross Dixy Lee Ray George W. Bush Hazel Wolf Henry M Jackson Warren G. Magnuson Home
Search Encyclopedia
Advanced Search
Featured Essay
Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search
6993 essays now available      
Donation system not supported by Safari     Donate Subscribe


Cyberpedias Cyberpedias
Timeline Essays Timeline Essays
People's Histories People's Histories

Selected Collections
Cities & Towns Cities & Towns
County Thumbnails Counties
Biographies Biographies
Interactive Cybertours Interactive Cybertours
Slide Shows Slideshows
Public Ports Public Ports
Audio & Video Audio & Video

Research Shortcuts

Map Searches
Alphabetical Search
Timeline Date Search
Topic Search


Book of the Fortnight
Audio/Video Enhanced
History Bookshelf
Klondike Gold Rush Database
Duvall Newspaper Index
Wellington Scrapbook

More History

Washington FAQs
Washington Milestones
Honor Rolls
Columbia Basin
Walla Walla
Roads & Rails

Timeline Library

< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >

Commercial coal production begins at Black Diamond in March 1885. Essay 3389 : Printer-Friendly Format

In March 1885, commercial coal production begins at Mine No. 14 of the Black Diamond Coal Mining Co. in the Green River Coal Field in King County. The completion of rail service on December 12, 1884, allows the transportation of heavy equipment to the site and movement of coal to the King Street Coal Wharf in Seattle.

After good-quality coal was discovered on the Green River in July 1880, the Black Diamond Coal Mining Co. of California began discretely buying up land. Henry Villard's Northern Pacific Railroad and its subsidiary the Oregon Improvement Co. also wanted the coal in this area. Villard planned to extend the Columbia and Puget Sound Railroad from Renton up the Cedar River. The Northern Pacific aggressively pursued financing for the extension, but the economic downturn after 1883 forced the railroad to solicit $150,000 in subsidies from Seattle businessmen. The Columbia and Puget Sound line was extended up the Cedar River to Black Diamond and from there to Franklin.

The railroad allowed the construction of coal mines at Cedar Mountain (1884), Franklin (1885), Lawson, and Ravensdale (1900). The Green River field added to production from Renton and Newcastle. Most of the coal was shipped to San Francisco.

C. William Thorndale, "Washington's Green River Coal Co., 1880-1970," (Master's Thesis, University of Washington, 1965); Daniel Bagley, History of King County, Washington, (Chicago: S.J. Clarke, 1929), 288-292.

Travel through time (chronological order):
< Browse to Previous Essay | Browse to Next Essay >

Related Topics: Industry | Roads & Rails |

Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both and to the author, and sources must be included with any reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact the source noted in the image credit.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License

Major Support for Provided By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins | Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry | 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle | City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private Sponsors and Visitors Like You

Columbia and Puget Sound Railway coal docks at S Jackson Street, Seattle, 1882
Photo by Carleton E. Watkins, Courtesy UW Special Collections

Green River Coal Field, 1880
Courtesy UW Special Collections

Home About Us Contact Us Education Bookstore Tourism Advanced Search is the first online encyclopedia of local and state history created expressly for the Internet. (SM) is a free public and educational resource produced by History Ink, a 501 (c) (3) tax-exempt corporation.
Contact us by phone at 206.447.8140, by mail at Historylink, 1411 4th Ave. Suite 803, Seattle WA 98101 or email