On February 16, 1907, a headline in The Seattle Times discloses that Caroline Kline Galland (1841-1907) has bequeathed “A Million and a Half for Charity.”
Most of the estate went to establish a home for the Jewish aged, “that it may bring to the lives of the aged men and women ... the greatest degree of contentment and happiness in their declining years.”
The Caroline Kline Galland Center, located in Seward Park, opened in 1914, and has served the Jewish aged for some 90 Years.
David Stern, The Kline Galland Center: She Started It. Now it’s up to us to Keep It Going (Seattle: Academy Press, n.d.); Eighty Years of Caring: Timeline and Annual Meeting Agenda (Seattle: The Kline Galland Center, 1994).
Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that
encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both
HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any
reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this
Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For
more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact
the source noted in the image credit.
Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided
The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins
| Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry
| 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle
| City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach
Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private
Sponsors and Visitors Like You