On June 11, 1870, the new Protestant Episcopal Church building in Seattle is consecrated by Bishop Morris and the Reverends Edward Hyland and William H. Summers. It is located at the northwest corner of 3rd Avenue and Jefferson Street.
Originally the Protestant Episcopal Church held its services in the Methodist Episcopal Church. The Reverend Peter Edward Hyland conducted the denomination's first service in Seattle on August 13, 1865. The parishioners soon decided they needed a church building. The site was selected and apparently an architect by the name of Abbott designed the 24 x 48 foot church. Construction began in 1870.
Church services were held there till the church burned down in the Great Seattle Fire of 1889.
Thomas Prosch, "A Chronological History of Seattle from 1850 to 1897" (Typescript, dated 1900-1901, Northwest Collection, University of Washington Library, Seattle), 200.
Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that
encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both
HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any
reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this
Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For
more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact
the source noted in the image credit.
Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided
The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins
| Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry
| 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle
| City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach
Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private
Sponsors and Visitors Like You