Two Philippine-American War dead are buried in Seattle on February 8, 1900.

  • By David Wilma
  • Posted 10/08/1999
  • Essay 1727
See Additional Media

On February 8, 1900, two Seattle volunteers who died in the Philippine Islands during the Philippine-American War are buried at Lake View Cemetery after a funeral parade that begins at the Seattle Armory. They are Captain George H. Fortson and Private Royal E. Fletcher of the First Washington Volunteer Regiment.

The two men had died in the Philippines almost a year earlier. Their remains were sent by ship back to Seattle by way of San Francisco. Captain George Hayley Fortson, a former Seattle City Attorney and husband of Minnie Frye, was commander of Company B. He died on March 27, 1898, of wounds received in a skirmish at the Pasig Delta Campaign the previous day. Since the beginning of the conflict in 1898, in which Filipinos resisted the U.S. control of the Philippines, more than 1,000 American soldiers had died, most of them from non-combat causes such as disease.

In the late nineteenth century, Spain had been the colonial power that controlled the Philippine Islands, despite nationalist rebellions. On April 21, 1898, the United States declared war on Spain and on May 1, 1898, the Asian squadron of the U. S. Navy destroyed the Spanish fleet in Manila Bay. Spain conceded control of the Islands to the U.S. military. Filipino nationalist forces, led by Emilio Aguinaldo (ca. 1870-?), refused to accept American domination, and the Philippine-American War (generally referred to in America at the time as the Philippine Insurrection) began. The conflict lasted from 1899 until 1902, when U.S. civil government replaced the military authority and William Howard Taft (1857-1930), later U.S. president, became the first civil governor on July 4, 1902.

George Fortson was memorialized in 1901 with dedication of a small public park, Fortson Square, at the southeast corner of Yesler Way and 2nd Avenue in Seattle. Seattle-area Spanish American War volunteers are also honored with a statue in the southwest corner of Woodland Park.


Seattle Post-Intelligencer, February 3, 1900, p. 9; The Seattle Times, September 22, 1965; Funk and Wagnall's New Encyclopedia, 1983, s.v.
Note: This entry was revised on December 2, 2002, and on August 3, 2018.

Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both and to the author, and sources must be included with any reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact the source noted in the image credit.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License
Major Support for Provided By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins | Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry | 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle | City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private Sponsors and Visitors Like You