On April 26, 1899, the City of Seattle grants rights under Ordinance 1188 to the John S. Maggs water system. This privately owned supply remains in use for more than 50 years, making it the last system competing with Seattle's Water Department.
The Maggs system was supplied by a spring between 6th Avenue and 7th Avenue N, and Garfield and Galer streets. It served the district south of Lake Union between Denny Way, Broad Street, Aloha Street, and 7th Avenue N.
For years, Molly Maggs and her brother Marshall operated the system. When Marshall died in the late summer of 1950, the system was abandoned, and the city took over the original spring. The storage cistern was removed and the spring was boxed in, turning it into a drainage system on Aurora Avenue.
Mary McWilliams, Seattle Water Department History 1854-1954 (City of Seattle: Dogwood Press, 1955), 3.
Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that
encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both
HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any
reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this
Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For
more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact
the source noted in the image credit.
Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided
The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins
| Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry
| 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle
| City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach
Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private
Sponsors and Visitors Like You