King County Landmarks: County-City Building - King County Courthouse (1916), Seattle
Address: 3rd Avenue and James Street, Seattle. The King County Courthouse is a dignified example of early twentieth century civic architecture in the Beaux-Arts style. In 1931, 10 stories were added to the 1916 four story building to bring the courthouse to its current height.
Prominent local architect A. Warren Gould guided the first phase of construction; architects Henry Bittman and J. L. McCauley managed the second phase. A major remodeling in the 1960s intended to capture the spirit of urban renewal and cosmetically disguise the building’s true age destroyed many original features of the elegant marble-clad lobbies and entrance portals.
Until 1962, the County-City Building accommodated the offices of King County and City of Seattle government. Today (2000) the building houses offices of the County Executive, County Council, and County court system.
King County Landmarks and Heritage Commission.