King County Landmarks: Reinig Road Sycamore Corridor (1929), Snoqualmie
Address: Between 396th Drive SE and SE 79th Street, Snoqualmie The Sycamore trees growing on both sides of Reinig Road are among the last vestiges of the former company town of Snoqualmie Falls, which was located just east of the town of Snoqualmie on the Middle Fork of the Snoqualmie River. In 1916, the Snoqualmie Falls Lumber Company began developing housing and community facilities for its growing workforce and the workers’ families. Snoqualmie Falls had a community hall, barber shop, post office, hospital, and school. In 1929, the Company planted a row of Sycamore trees in front of the homes that flanked Reinig Road as part of a community beautification program. As business at the mill declined, the company decided to close the town. In 1958, 90 houses were moved from the town to new sites, and most of the other structures were demolished.