King County Landmarks: Carnegie Public Library (1914), Auburn
Address: 306 Auburn Avenue NE, Auburn. The development of a public library in Auburn was part of a national movement spurred by the philanthropy of iron and steel magnate Andrew Carnegie (1835-1919). In 1911, the Auburn Library Board received $9,000 from the Carnegie Foundation to construct a building on property donated by the Ballard family.
The Carnegie Public Library was designed by Seattle architect David Myers and built in 1914. The two-story brick building reflects the restrained Neoclassical design and simple rectangular massing of Carnegie libraries built in the early 1900s throughout the country. The building currently houses a dance studio.