King County Landmarks: Olson Farm (ca. 1874), Auburn

  • By Heather MacIntosh
  • Posted 1/01/2000
  • Essay 2396
See Additional Media

Address: 28728 Green River Road S, Auburn. Located on a fertile shelf of land adjacent to the Green River known as Olson Canyon, the Olson Farm was initially developed by Swedish immigrants Alfred and Mary Olson and later farmed by Mary's second husband, Eric Magnus Johnson and Alfred and Mary's children. Because so many of the original structures remain in place, venturing into the canyon is like walking back in time. The farm ensemble includes a one and a half-story frame farmhouse built in 1902, a gable roof barn built in 1897, a weaving shed, workshop, smokehouse, and orchard. The City of Auburn acquired the 60-acre site in 1994 through the King County Open Space Program.


Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both and to the author, and sources must be included with any reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact the source noted in the image credit.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License
Major Support for Provided By: The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins | Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry | 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle | City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private Sponsors and Visitors Like You