On January 1, 1947, Group Health Cooperative of Puget Sound officially opens the doors of its first downtown Seattle clinic and a small hospital, St. Luke's, on Capitol Hill. The member-governed Cooperative is barely two years old. It acquired the hospital and other facilities by purchasing the physician owned Medical Security Clinic, an existing pre-paid service, in 1946.
At the end of its first year of operation, Group Health listed 8,500 group plan enrollees and 1,024 cooperative members. With an enrollment of 600,000 in the year 2000, Group Health ranks as one of the nation's largest health care organizations.
Walt Crowley, To Serve the Greatest Number: A History of Group Health Cooperative of Puget Sound (Seattle: UW Press/Group Health, 1996).
Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that
encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both
HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any
reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this
Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For
more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact
the source noted in the image credit.
Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided
The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins
| Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry
| 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle
| City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach
Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private
Sponsors and Visitors Like You