In August 1903, the Ringling Bros. Circus comes to Seattle. A circus parade including at least 12 elephants as well as tableaus (carved wagons that resembled the gilded fantasies of a deranged royalty) makes its way down 2nd Avenue.
As advertised these Ringling Bros. shows were probably the "greatest." Formed as a wagon circus in 1884, Ringling switched to trains in 1890. A turn-of-the-century Ringling train numbered more than 80 cars, and most of the circus's stays were for one day.
Paul Dorpat, "Now & Then: "The Circus Parade," The Seattle Times, Northwest Magazine, December 11, 1994.
Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that
encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both
HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any
reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this
Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For
more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact
the source noted in the image credit.
Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided
The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins
| Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry
| 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle
| City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach
Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private
Sponsors and Visitors Like You