On May 28, 1948, Seattle College president Fr. Albert A. Lemieux, SJ (1908-1979) announces the school's re-incorporation as Seattle University. The Jesuit-run Seattle College was chartered in 1898, and grew out of the School of the Immaculate Conception, founded in 1891.
As of 2001, Seattle University is the largest independent university in the Pacific Northwest, with an enrollment of 6,000. It is the region's leading Jesuit institution.