On May 31, 1911, Fremont's first high bridge over Lake Union, called Stone Way Bridge, opens to traffic. Fremont is a neighborhood of Seattle.
The bridge performed service until June 15, 1917, when the Fremont Bridge, built as part of the Lake Washington Ship Canal project, opened to traffic.
Paul Dorpat, "Tampering with Lake Union," Seattle Now & Then 2nd Edition (Seattle: Tartu Publications, 1984), Story 66.
Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that
encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both
HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any
reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this
Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For
more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact
the source noted in the image credit.
Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided
The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins
| Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry
| 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle
| City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach
Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private
Sponsors and Visitors Like You