D'wamish Post Office is established December 7, 1860. David A. Neely is appointed postmaster and will be the only postmaster to serve. The post office closes on August 30, 1864.
The post office was located within the present city limits of Kent on the east side of Green River in the vicinity of South 224th Street. Kent is located in King County about 15 miles southeast of Seattle. By the time the town incorporated in 1890, it was a farming community with hop growing at the center of its economy.
Guy Reed Ramsey, "Postmarked Washington, 1850-1960," Microfilm (Olympia: Washington State Library, February, 1966), 554.
Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that
encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both
HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any
reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this
Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For
more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact
the source noted in the image credit.
Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided
The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins
| Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry
| 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle
| City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach
Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private
Sponsors and Visitors Like You