On December 13, 1975, Broadview Branch, Seattle Public Library, opens for business. Construction funds and a design for the branch had been approved in 1967, but then the City Council shifted funds to remodel Sicks' Seattle Stadium for the Seattle Pilots. The community kept the pressure on City Hall for seven years until construction was started. Broadview replaces the Oakview Branch.
The firm of Steinhart, Therriault and Associates designed a cedar and brick structure in the Pacific Rim style. The interior featured Native American wall panels by Haida craftsman Martin Oliver, and two reading areas for children, the Crow's Nest and the Bear's Den. Cost of construction was $425,987.
Seattle Mayor Wes Uhlman (b. 1935) formally dedicated the branch on January 25, 1976.
HistoryLink Online Encyclopedia of Washington State History, "Broadview Branch, The Seattle Public Library" (by David Wilma), http://www.historylink.org/ (accessed November 20, 2002).
Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that
encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both
HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any
reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this
Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For
more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact
the source noted in the image credit.
Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided
The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins
| Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry
| 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle
| City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach
Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private
Sponsors and Visitors Like You