On February 10, 1909, the Palace Theater opens in Vancouver, Washington. Located at 605 Main Street, the venue offers six one-reel silent films per show, with an admission price of 10 cents per person.
The Palace was owned and managed by C. Engleman, who equipped the house with a Wurlitzer piano/organ costing $2,200, along with something called a “flute-electric piano” that cost an additional $1,000. These two features were in addition to the house’s regular musical accompaniment, provided by a full-time pianist and taps drummer.
Engleman constantly strove to improve the Palace, which seated 381. He claimed to have made $3,000 worth of improvements during the first four years he owned the theater.
“Palace Theater, Vancouver, Wash.,” The Moving Picture World, June 7, 1913, pp. 1016-1017.
Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that
encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both
HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any
reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this
Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For
more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact
the source noted in the image credit.
Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided
The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins
| Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry
| 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle
| City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach
Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private
Sponsors and Visitors Like You