In 1913, the New Spokane Theater, one of Spokane’s larger moving picture houses, is operating to capacity business.
Owned and operated by Sam U. B. Cohn, a former newspaperman, the venue seated 1,200 and employed a staff of 20. A typical show, Cohn reported to The Moving Picture World, a trade magazine for picture exhibitors, consisted of three one-reel films and three live vaudeville acts. The venue's attractions were screened using a pair of Powers #6 projectors.
“New Spokane Theater, Spokane, Wash.,” The Moving Picture World, September 13, 1913, p. 1181.
Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that
encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both
HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any
reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this
Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For
more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact
the source noted in the image credit.
Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided
The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins
| Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry
| 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle
| City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach
Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private
Sponsors and Visitors Like You