On February 24, 1967, the ferry Hiyu is launched in Portland, Oregon. The 162-foot vessel is meant to replace the 38-year-old Skansonia on the Tacoma-Vashon run.
Built by the Gunderson Bros. Engineering Corp., the Hiyu was the most noteworthy vessel built in Portland since the 172-foot M. R. Chessman, launched in 1948 by the Albina Engine & Machine Works for Astoria-Megler service on the Columbia River. The M. R. Chessman retired in 1966 with the opening of the lower Columbia River bridge.
The Hiyu spent the next few months completing sea trials, and was put into service in July 1967.
The H. W. McCurdy Marine History of the Pacific Northwest, 1966 to 1976 ed. by Gordon Newell (Seattle: The Superior Publishing Company, 1977), xxxvii; "Ferry Hiyu Will Enter Service Next Sunday," The Seattle Times, July 12, 1967, p. 35.
Licensing: This essay is licensed under a Creative Commons license that
encourages reproduction with attribution. Credit should be given to both
HistoryLink.org and to the author, and sources must be included with any
reproduction. Click the icon for more info. Please note that this
Creative Commons license applies to text only, and not to images. For
more information regarding individual photos or images, please contact
the source noted in the image credit.
Major Support for HistoryLink.org Provided
The State of Washington | Patsy Bullitt Collins
| Paul G. Allen Family Foundation | Museum Of History & Industry
| 4Culture (King County Lodging Tax Revenue) | City of Seattle
| City of Bellevue | City of Tacoma | King County | The Peach
Foundation | Microsoft Corporation, Other Public and Private
Sponsors and Visitors Like You